Search This Site.

Can I get unemployment or collect if I quit my job to go back to school full-time in NYS?

by Ann

I am 38 years old and I have worked in retail for 20+ years as a store manager. I want to go back to school full-time to become a teacher, simply because I want a more stable job and I love children. Can I quit my full-time job and collect unemployment while I go back to school for my Master's Degree in Education?

Hi Ann,

One of the basic requirements to receive unemployment benefits is that you must be able and available for work.

It would be a quit for personal reasons and disqualifying.

Comments for Can I get unemployment or collect if I quit my job to go back to school full-time in NYS?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 20, 2010
by: shereen

i am also considering quitting my job to go back to school...but how can i support myself and kids...


Let me ask you this .. are you a single mother? (although not required)

Before you quit your job to go to school because it would be disqualifying, you need to investigate NY programs that provide assistance through TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) or in New York they apparently call it "FA" or Family assistance.

Depending on the state the TANF program has a variety of names.

I have no experience with any TANF program, but I am acquainted with a young lady here who is currently in the program. She started with nothing, acquired her GED, she has worked part-time while going to school and will soon be a certified x-ray technician. Her plan is to further her credentials once she gets on her feet.

All this after almost losing her children because she left them at home with their Dad while she was at work and he decided to take them for a drunken joyride.

The maximum length of time anyone can use the TANF program is 60 months.

Family Assistance in New York.

I'm sorry that the answer regarding unemployment benefits is always the same when it comes to quitting .. unless, as some states may allow, quitting because you have been approved for "state approved training".

My advice is to always contact the appropriate state agencies for clarification and or verification of what you think a general statement means.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to New York State Unemployment Benefits Questions.

} }