Search This Site.

Can I quit my job due to discrimination

by Charmain

Can I collect unemployment if I quit due to discrimination. I have worked for this company in Illinois for 2 years. When I started I notice that I was not assigned any work for the position I was hired for. I basically sat at my desk for 1 1/2 years, of not doing much, I repeatedly asked for work and also asked management, that is when my accent was mentioned, I also asked a co-worker about it and she admitted to me that she was also told about my accent. In January a co-worker was fired, and I had to clean up her mess, I now notice that accounts are being taken away from me and given to someone else to handle and clients are being told to call someone else. It is not a environment that I feel comfortable in and feel they want me out.

Before you quit, you need to document .. and if I were you .. I'd file an EEOC complaint.

I'm not sure what kind of accent you have, but I'll assume you are a member of a "protected class" due to your national origin if you were not born in this country.

I understand why you would want to quit a job like this, but please understand that when someone does quit .. all the burden to prove that discrimination was the reason .. will be your burden alone.

It's not enough to state the fact or present hearsay testimony based on what a former co-worker told you .. that your accent was a problem for the employer.

Comments for Can I quit my job due to discrimination

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 14, 2010
Can I quit due to discrimination
by: Charmain

I have an accent but my first language is English. Should I get a lawyer? Or do I have to file the claim first. And does the burden of proof also rest on me there also.

Personally, I think you should at least talk to a lawyer.

I mean it when I say that we should not procrastinate contacting one when we need one.

And we need one if we are clueless as to how to handle a "situation".

A civil action regarding discrimination, against an employer, I do believe, first requires a complaint filed with the EEOC .. so you can obtain a "right to sue letter" .. but I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word for it .. I just know that the unemployment department might see a lack of a formal complaint as a lapse in your efforts to preserve the employment.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Unemployment Benefits Questions.

} }