Search This Site.

Can you quit if you were a salaried employee, but the employer switches you to straight commission only? Is there anyway to ask Florida a question about what is good cause?

by Joe
(Tampa, FL)

I was a salaried worker and they switched me to straight commission. Can I receive unemployment benefits.


Hi Joe,

This sounds like a change in the conditions of employment.

It is a good cause IF you can show this would reduce the amount you are compensated for doing the same work.

Many states have a threshold for the amount of the be careful.

I'm oh so glad you asked this Joe, because it's your question I was trying yet again to find an answer somewhere on Florida's website when I stumbled upon this page. Ask them, when it's safe to quit a job after an employer reduces your wages. Florida's unemployment website drives me bonkers. It's not the only state, but I visit their statutes more often than any state right now...and let me tell you compared to some other sucks. There's nothing to explain what good cause is.

There's no precedent decision manual (like Texas, eligibility guide, (like California) decision least not that I can find.

Update! I found something!

How in the world is a responsible, hard-working citizen of Florida, (and a lot of other states) who is so fed up with the things their employer is doing these days to cut cost (you can live on less...right) supposed to make an informed decision about such an important decision?

In my opinion it is inexcusable. Especially for a state that answers the question...Should I hire an attorney with this:

Professional representation is not required and most people represent themselves at unemployment hearings. You have the right to be represented by an attorney or authorized representative at your own expense. Fees for representing a claimant must be approved by the appeals referee, but paid by the claimant. Legal representation may be available through a local Legal Aid Office at reduced or no cost for low-income claimants. For information about hiring an attorney, contact the Florida Bar Association toll-free at 1-800-342-8011. If you hire an attorney or authorize someone to represent you, provide the person’s name, address, and telephone number to the Appeals Office to ensure all notices are sent to that person.

Joe, it's not you that prompted the was the MAN!!

Click here to post comments

Return to Ask Florida Unemployment Questions.

} }