Search This Site.

I live in Florida but I work in Louisiana. Which state should I file unemployment?

by Steve Lister
(Port Richey FL)

I make my living as a merchant marine. In the gulf of mexico, working for the oil fields. I draw a pay check from a Louisiana based company, but I live in florida. Can I file in florida for unemployment.

Hi Steve,

Yes you can. It will be an interstate claim because Florida will have to contact Louisiana if the employer paid LA unemployment taxes, this just means that LA is the "liable state".

Pay close attention when you're filing. Some states have special filing procedures for your type of claim.

You could actually file in either state.

If a person worked in more that one state it's called a Combined wage claim.

Click here to post comments

Return to Unemployment Benefits Questions.

} }