Search This Site.

Michigan & Oklahoma

by Beth
(Fargo, Oklahoma)

In July of 2009 I quit my job to move to Fargo Oklahoma because my husband had accepted a job there. As of yet I have not been able to find a local job. Can I file for unemployment and if so what state do I file in. I got married just before leaving Michigan. Do I file under my previous name?

Hi Beth,

I do not think you will qualify in Michigan because your spouse would have to be military.

On the other hand if you had quit in Oklahoma because your spouse found work in Michigan .. you might because they don't limit this to just military spouses.

Whichever state you file in .. it will be Michigan law that decides whether you get unemployment. At most OK would simply act as the agent state for Michigan which is the liable state.

The name is less relevant than your SSN.

Click here to post comments

Return to Unemployment Benefits Questions.

} }