Search This Site.

Quitting in Tennessee to move to another state.

by Anonymous
(Cookeville, TN)

I'm moving to another state from Tennessee. My job that I have now is great, but I do not have another job in the other state and I want to know if I could collect unemployment until I got a new job.


Tennessee requires that quitting be attributable to the work and TN does not have a provision that would allow unemployment benefits for quitting to move under any circumstances.

Comments for Quitting in Tennessee to move to another state.

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 09, 2008
What does Ohio say about quitting to move?
by: Anonymous

What do Ohio laws say about this?


Ohio is one of the rare states that do not require the quit be attributable to the work. According to the DOL's state comparison chart: "OH law has special disqualification provisions for these issues. The law specifies that quitting to marry or quitting to perform marital, domestic, or filial obligations results in disqualification until individuals earn $60 or 1/2 AWW, if less." AWW stands for Average Weekly Wage. There is nothing about quitting to follow a spouse. The disqualification isn't much.

Ohio's statutes are poorly written and difficult to scan for information. If you care to take a look, click here. Opens in a new window.

Jul 17, 2009
what about Florida
by: Anonymous

what does florida say about this?

If you mean "quitting to follow a spouse .. only for certain military personnel .. which is a more common provision.

A voluntary quit without good cause in Florida carries a disqualification requiring you to earn 17 times your weekly benefit amount before it is purged.

Aug 03, 2009
by: Anonymous

Quitting in Oregon to move to another state? Not following spouse.

Hi Anonymous,

Okay, not following spouse, so then why? They always ask why and I can't answer you if you don't give me the reason for move.

Aug 15, 2009
Following spouse to South Carolina from Michigan
by: Anonymous

I am currently employed in Michigan and have been searching for employement in South Carolina to be with my husband who was transferred there for work. It has been almost 8 months, and in that time I have interviewed for positions and put in for a transfer at my current job which was denied due to no available positions. Can I collect unemployment if I quit my job to be in SC with my husband?

Hi Anonymous,

Click here for the DOLETA 2009 chartbook for nonmonetary eligibility. You'll notice there is a 3/ indicating the footnote you should read. Apparently as of 1/9/09 Michigan has a law that allows this, but only for military spouses under certain conditions. Same for SC.


Sep 22, 2009
South carolina to NC
by: Anonymous

Similar situation.... What if I quit SC to move to NC?


Same thing as for most states. The link I provided answers this question for all states.

SC only has a provision regarding military spouses too.

Oct 12, 2009
Moving from CA to OK
by: Anonymous

I'm moving to Oklahoma from California with my boyfriend. We will be living together, but I do not have a job lined up. Would CA grant me unemployment while I search for a new position?


Here's some information for you to read.

California quitting to follow Read carefully, you are not married and you did not mention any plans to be married. It's relevant.

Jan 04, 2010
NJ to TX
by: Anonymous

How about from NJ to TX...following a spouse

Many states have changed .. are in the process of changing or will be changing their rules regarding this issue.

The best place to check right now is the UI Modernization Incentive data You can actually read the letters from the states which details the changes that have been approved. It also will tell you when the changes take effect.

Feb 25, 2010
Quit to move from PA to FL
by: Anonymous

I had to quit my job in PA to move to FL to take care of my elderly parents ... can I collect unemployment


I don't know, because I don't know the details nor do I know if you could have or did anything before you quit.

Mar 20, 2012
Moving from Pa to Tx to follow spouse on mandatory relocation
by: Anonymous

I have to relocate to TX from Pa because of a forced relocation for my spouse. I am a nurse and can't apply for my Tx license until I have a TX residency, therefore can't apply for work until I receive my Tx nursing license. Can I collect unemployment in either state until I can find a job. (I gave notice to my job in Pa, which will end in June)

PA allows for quit with good cause to follow a spouse .. because PA doesn't require a quit be attributable to the employment.

Personal reason that rise to the occasion of collecting unemployment compensation though are defined as being compelling and necessitous.

Make very certain your spouse earns more than you do .. otherwise risk losing the compelling part.

The burden is still your to prove good cause even when the cause for the quit is personal and although I get the part about residency .. it doesn't mean you still won't have to be able and available to look for and possibly accept any other type of work that may be suitable to you.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Quitting and Unemployment.

} }