Search This Site.

two different states

I live in Minnesota I worked in South Dakota. Can I start a claim in Minnesota or does it have to be in South Dakota.

Most states have agreements for interstate claims. This usually allows you to file in your home state. Minnesota would essentially just be the middle man for the claim which would be paid by SD.

Personally, with the onset of internet filing .. I think I would eliminate the middle man unless I had wages in both states .. in which case it would be a "combined wage claim" and in that case I would file in the state with the highest weekly benefit amount and/or the most favorable statutes if there is a possible advantage to you in doing so.

Click here to post comments

Return to Unemployment Benefits FAQ's.

} }