Search This Site.

Using non prescribed medications at work

by LD

Hello...I am being terminated for using controlled substances at work, I unfortunately took them from work as well, I did admit to this (I am receiving medical help for this now) and had a positive UA for the medication (done at work). Years ago, I had done this before and on my unemployment form, listed reason for being fired briefly as "falsifying documents" as cause and I received benefits, my employer did not appeal. It is a little different in that documents weren't really involved this time. Like I mentioned, I am receiving help and am not a bad person, just someone who needs help. I plan on applying for unemployment again, and I am wondering if you had any idea's as far as listing a reason other than theft. I was thinking...Addiction, or just simply using unprescribed medications at work. I don't believe this employer will deny me, just worried that the state (Washington) will if I don't word it just right. Thank you for your assistance.

Hi LD,

I think you need to check the statutes to see if there is a provision for compulsive use of drugs or alcohol that might help .. I'm not sure if WA has such a provision, but some states do.

The truth is LD, that most people who are denied unemployment benefits aren't bad people .. unemployment benefits are not determined on what kind of a person you are, but what you did .. both when fired for misconduct or quitting for whatever reason.

You might also try the WA Unemployment Precedent Decisions

Click here to post comments

Return to Can I get unemployment if I have been fired?.

} }